irony is that when I tell people that I support the Tea Party, they think I’m
some right wing nut who has a shot gun in my trunk and go around preaching door
to door with my bible. Neither is true. However, that is the picture of a Tea
Party Patriot painted by the media. And it is the picture that most Americans,
even Republicans, have of them.
is more interesting is that when I begin to speak to my friends or colleagues about
things I believe in, they all nod their head yes. To make a long story shirt, I
begin to speak of how the national budget should be balanced, that our
government has grown too big, that deficit spending must end, that special
interest groups are corrupting politics or that reducing both personal and
business taxes are essential. No one ever disagrees with my points. In fact,
even the most ardent Democrats all seem to agree with every one of my points.
would like to say that I’m persuasive when I speak. However, I would be
fibbing. The truth is, the facts speak for themselves. All I do feebly sputter
them out, hoping someone will listen.
in the conversation, I’ll pull out my cell phone and show everyone what the Tea
Party beliefs are on their web site:
Illegal aliens are here illegally.
2. Pro-domestic employment is indispensable.
3. A strong military is essential.
4. Special interests must be eliminated.
5. Gun ownership is sacred.
6. Government must be downsized.
7. The national budget must be balanced.
8. Deficit spending must end.
9. Bailout and stimulus plans are illegal.
10. Reducing personal income taxes is a must.
11. Reducing business income taxes is mandatory.
12. Political offices must be available to average citizens.
13. Intrusive government must be stopped.
14. English as our core language is required.
15. Traditional family values are encouraged.
These are all common sense answers to pressing issues that our country currently faces. The ideas behind them are not radical but those that oppose them are.
those that still want to argue will point out that they don’t like Senator
Cruz. When questioned why, they will say that he shut down government. When I
tell them the facts about what the government shut down really meant and how
minimally intrusive his filibuster was, most are in disbelief. None have
attempted to argue any further. End of debate.
truly unfortunate thing here is that the erroneous perception of the Tea Party propagated
by the media remains. As a Tea Party supporter, all I want to see is that the
next generation is safer and better off than I am. The Tea Party seems to be
the only sanity left in Washington that can accomplish this wish. Spread the